Sunday, November 30, 2008

Being a God Father

Last week, I was asked to be the god father to my friend Stacey's daughter, Isabella Michelle. The baptism was held at Saint Ignatius church last Sunday after mass for Isabella and her older brother Kaileb. Today I finished writing a letter for Isabella to include with an activity bible (small activities as you read along) for Christmas. Here's my letter to her:

November 29,2008

Dear Isabella Michelle,

This year your mom asked something very special of me – to become your god parent. This was such a great honor and I gladly accepted her request. Your mom and I have become close friends over the past year, and I have had the privilege of knowing you and watching you grow up.

You were baptized on November 23rd, 2008 into the eyes of god as Isabella Michelle. We celebrated that day, the mystery of God’s grace by welcoming you into his heart. No one can fully understand why God extends his love to us, but we know that God is love and loves all his children equally.

Being your god parents makes me feel so proud and loving of you. I will always be there for you to help you in life and along your spiritual journey. God intended the water used during your baptism to wash away your sins and unite you with Christ. Your baptism signifies God’s claim on you as his own—a child of his covenant with all men and an extension of his grace.

I hope you are able to see and embrace life with the same passion your mom does. She has a great and uplifting view of the world. Together, we have pushed each other to become better people – to do more, be more, and strive for more in order to experience life to its fullness. I hope I can be there to help you along your life’s journey.

Your mom talks of parents as “choosing feathers” for you and your brother, so that one day you will have a full set of wings and be able to fly on your own. I hope to be able to add my strongest and most colorful feathers to your wings.

When Jesus was on Earth, he blessed the little children. The afternoon of your baptism, I ask that this same Jesus would bless you and keep you, that he would make his face shine upon you, and that he would give you peace in your life, forever and ever.

With love and affection,

Alex


Thanks for reading,

Alex

No comments: